Fifth Grade – JA Our Nation
This program is typically for fifth grade students and consists of 5 individual guided videos and activities links to share and discuss with your students. Feel free to also utilize these in your Google Classroom! You may also share these resources with your student’s parents/guardians so they can complete them at home.
JA Our Nation provides practical information about the need for employees who can meet the demands of the 21st century job market, particularly high-growth, high-demand jobs. By program’s end, students will understand the skills, especially in science, technology, engineering, and math, that will make their futures brighter.
Program overview: https://www.jaaz.org/program/ja-our-nation/
Program objectives are to teach students to:
- Identify the characteristics of a free market economy
- Explain how pricing guides economic decisions
- Define entrepreneur and entrepreneurship
- Describe resources and how businesses use them
- Explore STEM skills and the process of innovation
- Examine career groupings and the skills necessary for different occupations
- Identify the soft skills wanted by today’s employers
- Explain why businesses specialize and trade
- Define opportunity cost
Before beginning, we ask that each student complete a short pre-test so that we may better track students’ knowledge gain. Click below to get started!
Session 1: Free to Choose Our Work or Business
Session 2: Innovation Nation
Session 3: Career Quest
Session 4: Get and Keep the Job!
Session 5: Global Connections
Please have each student complete a short post-test so that we can track students’ knowledge gain.
*If you are an educator and would like a copy of your students’ pre- and post-tests, please contact Colleen at email@example.com